Friday, September 17, 2010

Response To Nawara's Message to Freshmen


"When I think about school, I imagine homework, quizzes, breaks, gossip, etc. When I came to Alameda Science and Technology Institute, I learned that I was in a smaller environment and in an area that is full time work, work, work. When it was my first day of school, all I was thinking about was college. I felt like I was not in a high school where they have rallies, dances, and football games. I was in a community where we succeed in higher educational standards. As a freshman, I was scared. I felt like I was not going to succeed even though I was accepted, I did not feel like I was ready. While the year went on, I became to fully understand the requirements and expectations to succeed as an ASTI student. I felt more relaxed. As a result, teachers should console the students about future classes so they can arrange themselves to be successful."

This quote from Nawara's blog inspired me to write this:

The transition form middle school to ASTI's vigorous lifestyle has been easier than I expected so far.  I was expecting a large pile of homework on the first night of school but was pleasantly surprised at how the teachers eased us into the transition, making it easier for us.  In eighth grade, at Lincoln Middle School, I was well prepared for ASTI, in my point of view, because the homework load has been the same so far, and the high expectations have been nearly the same as now.  Classes are comfortable now, but I am sure that they will become more difficult as the year goes on.  The one thing I must make sure to do, is to not let myself slack off.  I must keep good work ethics throughout the year, even if the homework load is not so bad right now.

I know that if I let myself slack off now, I will not be able to pull myself together by the time I take college courses.  That excites me most about ASTI, but I am also a little worried that I will not be ready.  On the other hand, I have faith in my teachers to prepare me for college life.  So far, attending ASTI may have been the most important decision for my life.  It will prepare me for the future, even if I am missing the "rallies, dances, and football games".

No comments:

Post a Comment