Friday, November 5, 2010

Cross Country

Today, I went to my brother’s cross country meet right after school.  We arrived a little early, just in time to catch the beginning of the girls’ varsity race.  I had never been to a race before, so I was a little lost, in terms of what was going on.  I kept annoying my father with questions about where they would be coming from, how long the race was, etc. while he was trying to concentrate on taking pictures.  He finally started ignoring me, so I just stood in silence and watched.  After five minutes or so, a huge group of girls came running towards us.  I watched in amazement, as the kept their form and ran hard, drenched with sweat.  And as quickly as they came, they disappeared over the next hill, and around the corner.  My father started off to the next location they would come, and I hurried to catch up to him.  The next place was the finish line.  We waited another five minutes and the girls came again.  They raced down the stretch at a full stretch, pushing it top the limit.  The first few girls were happy with their time while the others scolded themselves.
Next, it was the boys’ turn.  When they ran their warm up pacers, I thought they were starting to actually run, so I started to cheer. No one else did, and I realized they were only warming up, and I felt dumb.  I think yen is weird; that is just my opinion. Oh no! Yen is leaving now (Janice).  After that incident, they actually began.  My brother, Duc, took the lead instantly and took off.  We then moved onto the next station, and waited.  They came, and were off again.  It was much like the girls’ run but much faster.  Finally, we headed towards the end of the circuit.  They soon came rushing over the hill at a full sprint.  Two Berkley High students were up front.  After about five seconds, I saw my brother heading towards us, neck and neck with another Berkley kid and… dog?  The dog kept cutting off Duc, forcing him to slow down.  It kept this up until the end of the race, not even bothering the other kid.  My brother made forth in the race, even thought the dog had been cutting him off for about half a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment